Case Study: Charter Application Development
As City Year turned 25, the national service organization partnered with Johns Hopkins University’s Center for the Social Organization of Schools (CSOS) and a local founding school board to support the launch of a new public charter school in Denver, Colorado.
- Collaborate with City Year and the Johns Hopkins University CSOS to develop and write the initial charter application
- Support the school’s founding board and project design team in preparing the charter application, providing project management support, and drafting key components
- Prepare members of the proposed school’s founding board for the capacity interview with the school’s authorizer by arranging a mock capacity interview with two former charter authorizers
- City Year and Johns Hopkins CSOS’s charter application was approved by Denver Public Schools in June 2014
- The resulting school, Compass Academy, currently serves 6th, 7th, and 8th graders and plans on expanding to eventually serve approximately 750 students in grades 6-12 at full capacity