Case Study: Promoting Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Coalition of Schools Educating Boys of Color (COSEBOC) had developed a series of standards and promising practices pinpointing the challenges experienced by boys of color in school settings, and sought innovative ways to provide professional development to its nationwide network of practitioners on the standards.
- Develop a review process based on the standards
- Introduce the review process in Mississippi schools
- Work with the Coalition to develop a comprehensive self-assessment process for school leaders to reflect on and check progress towards meeting the standards
- Develop survey instruments and visit protocols aligned with the Coalition’s standards
- SchoolWorks administered the self-assessment surveys and conducted site visits at 25 Mississippi schools
- Coalition officials said the process helped them assess needs for professional development and prompted reflection among school leaders
Dates: 2012 – 2013
"SchoolWorks melded its research-based methodologies and criteria with our own standards, providing an effective framework that has encouraged school leaders to focus on issues affecting young males of color. The self-assessment tool now serves as the basis for self-assessment, reflection, planning, professional development, and accountability around our standards."
- Ron Walker, COSEBOC Executive Director