Case Study: School Turnaround
In 2014, Martin Luther King, Jr. Charter School of Excellence was facing the possibility of closure. The school ranked in the 9th percentile among Massachusetts schools, with performance that had declined for the previous three years. To achieve demonstrated academic progress in a 1-year time frame in order to obtain charter renewal, the school’s Board and Executive Director contracted SchoolWorks.
- Develop a Turnaround Plan with the objective of increasing academic performance and positioning the school for charter renewal within a 1-year time frame
- Provide support in the implementation of the Turnaround Plan
- Conduct a 1-day site visit to gain insight into the current state of the school
- Work with school stakeholders to develop a Turnaround Plan informed by the site visit findings
- Work with the school leadership team to implement the Turnaround Plan by 1) establishing an instructional leadership team, 2) creating a comprehensive Instructors’ Manual that established expectations for school staff, 3) administering a robust professional development program, and 4) monitoring progress via informal walk-throughs, formal observations, and intense analysis of student performance data
- In 2018 (four years later) the school rose to the 61st percentile among Massachusetts schools, with 93% of students meeting targets
- The 2018 State accountability rating for Martin Luther King, Jr. Charter School of Excellence is the highest in the district of Springfield, which is comprised of 61 schools
Dates: 2014 – 2018
"The plan development and support services provided by SchoolWorks were the basis for the successful turnaround of this school. It was a pleasure to work with the SchoolWorks team."
- Alan M. Katz, Lead Founder and Former Executive Director