Case Study: Charter Application Development
When the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation first considered opening a charter school in Kansas City, its leaders turned to SchoolWorks.
- Study other high-performing schools, develop the initial charter application, and then select and coach new school leaders.
- Guide the foundation through a comprehensive, year-long deliberation and consensus on the new school’s mission and key attributes.
- Develop a process for touring exemplar schools, during which a team of foundation officials visited high-achieving schools across the country, researched best practices, and asked tough questions.
- Develop the new charter application, (approved by the authorizer in 2010).
- Design a coaching program for the new school leader.
- The Kauffman School opened its doors to an inaugural class of 100 fifth-grade students in 2011.
- SchoolWorks’ consultative relationship with the Kauffman School’s leadership continues.
Dates: 2009 – 2011